For our vacation this year we went to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park. I’ll be back with some photos and a review of our time there!
Monster Jam Triple Threat Series
Monster Jam® Triple Threat Series™ brings adrenaline-charged family entertainment to fans across the country. These world-class Monster Jam vehicles and athletes deliver what fans want to see most…more trucks, more racing, more freestyle, more donuts, more wheelies, more action!
Each event tests the versatility of the athletes as they go head-to-head in seven different competitions driving three different vehicles — Monster Jam trucks, Monster Jam Speedsters and Monster Jam ATVs. These athletes battle for points in challenging Racing and Freestyle events that push themselves and their machines to the limit. The point leader will receive an automatic bid to the prestigious Monster Jam World Finals® to compete for the title of World Champion.
Coming to the SAP Center in San Jose August 31st thru September 2nd. Purchase your tickets HERE and save 25% when you use promo code INF1.
*There is no pit party at this performance
Partnered with multiple organizations for fundraising and networking, it is a two day event of your choosing: Attend one or both events.PLUS feel good knowing that your attendance is helping out several non-profits and organizations that are helping to build and shape our communities.
- HERS Breast Cancer – audience of 4k
- Katia KITA – audience of 2.5k
- Promote Her Business (PHB) – audience of 1k
- Rodan+Fields Prescription For Change
- Small Hands Helping Hearts
- Sol Sisters – audience of 2k
- Winning With Other Women (WWOW) – audience of 1k
- San Mateo Moms – audience of 2k
- and more to come…
For additional information, please visit Facebook link, it has most updated information and recent postings.
Get your tickets HERE!
One particular booth we stopped at had pigeons that these young adults had as pets. We learned that some were used for racing from one area to another. Some of the stories were sad but at least these pigeons had new loving homes. Sierra got to even pet a few. We learned that there are different species of pigeons and that they are very trainable, loving little guys.
Time to stop and have some lunch! The Oakland Zoo offers a variety of yummy choices for both kids and adults. We sat outside since it was such a nice day and enjoyed the sound of the train passing by.
Next stop, Elephants! My favorite is the elephants and Oakland Zoo has a large area for these big guys to roam around in. We were just in time for their feeding too. Fruits, vegis and hay were placed in different locations of their surroundings, making it easy for visitors to get a great view. It was exciting to see them use their trunks to pick up the food and toss it into their mouths. Can you imagine if you had to eat that way? I’m sure I’d make a mess!
One of them also gave us quite a show with spraying mud from the past night’s rain. I guess he needed to cool down a bit. The kids laughed and ooh’d and aah’d as he did it. Thank goodness he didn’t spray us!
Looking for an outing for the kids and the adults? Head out to the Oakland Zoo for a wonderful day, we highly recommend it!
*Received tickets in exchange for a review
One Pan Mexican Quinoa
Looking for something healthy but tasty? How about less pots and pans to clean too!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5oz) can fire-roasted diced tomates
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
*I used 1 cup of mixed frozen vegetables instead of the corn since I didn’t have any. I also used Wholly guacamole single servings instead of an avocado.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring frequently until fragrant. About 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through. About 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
Maker Faire Industry Career and College Day
Maker Faire coming to the San Mateo Event Center on Friday, May 18th through Sunday, May 20th is the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth—a family-friendly festival of invention, creativity and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement.
The Maker Faire made it’s Bay Area debut in 2006 with participants learning new skills with hands-on participation. Makers interact with the public in showing their amazing work and share what they have learned in the process.
Maker Faire Week of Learning gives makers and enthusiasts the opportunity to attend workshops to improve their skills with maker tools at learning spaces all over the Bay Area from Saturday, May 12th thru Friday, May 18th.
Industry, Career and College Day hosted in partnership with Cornell University College of Engineering is geared towards upper 11-12th grade high school and college students, makers and enthusiasts an opportunity to explore career paths and education related to Making happening on Friday, May 18th from 9am to 1pm.
There will be great speakers sharing their journey on the future of Making. A select number of students will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas on stage for a chance to win a special advantage in the Cornell Cup, Cornell’s college-level design competition.
You can purchase tickets for the Maker Faire HERE!
Monster Jam at Levi Stadium
Monster Jam® is adrenaline-charged family entertainment providing jaw-dropping displays and gravity-defying feats that promises to always leave fans entertained.
Monster Jam events feature some of the most recognizable trucks in the world including Grave Digger®, Max-D, El Toro Loco® and many more. Our world-class drivers push these perfectly engineered Monster Jam trucks to their limits in Freestyle, “2-Wheel Skills” and Racing competitions that will put families on the edge of their seats and leave them craving more of this unexpected, unscripted and unforgettable event!
New in 2018, the Pit Party Early Access Pass is available to fans who purchase a ticket to the event and provides early entry into the Pit Party from 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
This pass also serves as the regular Pit Party pass from 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. The Monster Jam drivers will depart from the Pit Party at 5 p.m.
The Pit Party Early Access Pass must be accompanied by a same-day event ticket and quantities are limited. Add the Pit Party Early Access Pass at the end of your ticket order.
Coming to Levi Stadium in Santa Clara on April 28th at 7pm.
Purchase tickets through Ticketmaster and save $5 when you use the Promo Code MOM1
Saturday April 28, 2:30PM-5:30PM
The Monster Jam Pit Party provides unprecedented access to the Monster Jam trucks and drivers. This unique experience in the world of motorsports gives you access to see the trucks up close, take pictures, meet the drivers and get their autographs.
Arrive early as drivers will depart the Pit Party 30 minutes prior to end time and autographs are not guaranteed. The Pit Party Pass must be accompanied by a same-day event ticket.
Add the Pit Party Pass OR the Pit Party Early Access Pass at the end of your ticket order. A valid event ticket and pit party ticket is required to gain access to pit party. Driver autographs are not guaranteed.
Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken Breasts
I received an Instant Pot for my birthday so I decided to give a recipe a try and see how it worked out. Thank goodness I had everything in the house already so I didn’t have to go shopping.
This recipe was so easy and using the Instant Pot was fast and efficient. I’m so glad that we have one now. Cooking will be a lot less painful.
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
I marinated my chicken in the liquid for a few hours before cooking but it is not necessary to do so.
- In the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot, mix together the chicken stock, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken breasts.
- Set the valve to seal and cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release of pressure (turn to venting as soon as the timer rings)
- Open Instant Pot and remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board to allow them to rest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water and stir into the sauce in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and heat until it bubbles and is thickened. Use oven mitts to remove the base to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Slice the chicken breast and spoon the sauce over top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve with your favorite sides. I served it over rice and had sauteed yellow squash.
2018 Worlds Fair Nano
Experience the future!
Worlds Fair Nano is a whirlwind two-day festival filled with mind-blowing technology, futurist talks, interactive art, live music, food, and more. Coming to San Francisco on March 10-11 located at Pier 48 from 10am to 6pm!
Experience everything Worlds Fair Nano has to offer with the opportunity to touch, play, look and listen. Want to try at haptic suit? Fly Drones in the Drone Zone? How about racing electric skateboards in a rideables racetrack? Try your hand at drawing with 3D pens? There is nothing stopping you!
There will be an AMAZING lineup of industry leaders to listen to, talking about the future of our world. Wonder what the food will be like? Artificial Intelligence and Space Exploration?
Need a break, getting hungry? There will be food trucks, future food, live music, beer garden, and outdoor lounge to take full advantage of!
Head on out and have a technological day of it!
Orange Chicken Quinoa Salad
Wanting to eat healthy but not skip out on the taste. This salad hits the spot. Great use for your leftover baked chicken. Warm it up or eat it cold, either way works well.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 ounces of chicken, shredded
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 8 cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Cook quinoa either on the stove or in the microwave according to package instructions
- Once quinoa is cooked and dried, add all ingredients to a large bowl
- Stir well and serve dish either warm or cold
- Add in some lemon juice and olive oil to taste
* I splashed some lemon juice on it one time and another time some lime juice. Both worked really well and did not over power the dish.
Tangy Mango Salsa Salad
Looking for a refreshing summery salad for any day of the year. Look no further. This salad was so yummy that I ate it every day with my meals and even had it for breakfast one morning.
I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as I did!
- 1/2 mango, cubed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/4 cilantro 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp white wine wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add chopped bell peppers, avocado and mango into a bowl and mix.
- Add finely chopped cilantro and green onion and mix
- In a separate bowl mix all the dressing ingredients together
- Add dressing to salad and mix throughly
* I do not like green onions so I did not use any. When I first made it I did not use cilantro. It tastes great either way. The amounts are simply suggestions as I used 2 mangos, a full red and full orange bell pepper and 2 avocados. One time I used white wine vinegar and another time I used rice wine vinegar. Just a slight difference in taste but not a major one.